Low Carb Lemon Bars | A Classic Keto Dessert
This Sugar Free Lemon Bars recipe is just like the original and for that reason, you can barely tell the difference. It is hard to go wrong with a Sugar-free shortbread crust topped with a mind-blowing lemon topping.
I made these sugar free lemon bars for my family and my sister in law raved about how they tasted just like the original lemon bar except minus the carbs.
In fact, my Sister in Law and Daughter requested that I make her these Keto Lemon Bars for her Birthday instead of a cake. (They’re that good!)
Sugar Free Lemon Bars Recipe
The original Lemon Bar’s mix that I grew up making is not only delicious but it also contains 25 carbs per bar!
Seriously, it is so loaded in sugars I can’t believe I used to eat like that!
These Keto Lemon Bars are only 1.3 net carbs per square which is totally do able when eating a ketogenic or low carb diet.
My favorite sweetener for keto will always be Golden Monkfruit.
Golden monkfruit does give the lemon bars a slight golden color which I love almost as much as the flavor it gives. I used Golden Monkfruit sweetener in both the shortbread and lemon topping for these keto lemon bars.
Yes! this keto dessert recipe is super easy to make. First you make the shortbread crust, then you make the topping and bake. This can truly be a one bowl wonder.
I only use 1/2 cup of lemon juice in my lemon bars. I do not want the lemon to be too overwhelming in a recipe. I have also found that when you add too much lemon to a dessert you sometimes need to wait for the flavors to mingle together or they taste sour. 1/2 cup of lemon juice is all you need to make tasty lemon bars.
These low carb lemon bars bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Unlike traditional desserts, these lemon bars are best when cooled fully.
What is lemon zest
– Baking Bites
Zest is not the same thing as the peel, or rind, of a lemon, although it is a part of the peel. The zest is the colorful outer layer of the citrus peel.
Tips and Tricks for baking with Lemons
- Put a lemon in the microwave for about 10 seconds to warm up. This will help you get more juice out of the lemon
- Roll the lemon on the counter to soften and make it easier to get the juice.
- Use a Lemon Zester to get the lemon Zest. They’re only a few bucks but totally worth every penny.
Low Carb Lemon Bars: the ultimate potluck dessert
Everyone loves lemon bars however, I love keto lemon bars.
Growing up whenever I would go to a church potluck there was sure to have at least one pan of lemon bars there
Now that I have a sugar free lemon bar recipe in my bag I can have my lemon bars and keep my keto diet intact.
Don’t forget to sprinkle powdered sugar free sweetener on top of the lemon bars in order to cover up any cracks or faults in the lemon layer.
WHAT SWEETENER IS BEST WITH KETO BAKING
My favorite low carb sweetener is Golden Monk Fruit.
Use coupon code: OMGKETO15 to save 15% off my favorite Keto baking sweetener!
Keto Lemon Bars with a shortbread crust. These sugar free desserts are amazing and taste just like the original. Make these sugar free desserts for your next keto BBQ or church gathering. A Keto Classic Dessert without the sugar!
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup Butter Tasting Coconut Oil or Butter, Softened
- 1/2 Cup Golden Monkfruit (Use Code: OMGKETO15 to save 15%)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of salf (about 1/8th Tsp)
- Juice of a Lemon (about 1/2 cup)
- Zest of one Lemon (about 1 TBS)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Golden Monkfruit (Use Code: OMGKETO15 to save 15%)
- 3/4 Cup Almond Flour
- Pinch of Salt (about 1/8th Tsp)
Short Bread Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 g degrees F and prepare a 9 X 9 baking pan by lining it with parchment paper. I like to use two pieces of paper, cut into rectangles. This helps me get the lemon bars out of the pan once it has cooled.
- In a stand mixer, combine the softened coconut oil or butter with the Golden Monk fruit and Vanilla. "Cream" until combined and fluffy. Add the salt and Almond flour and combine until it starts to form a ball.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan. Make sure the bottom of the pan is covered and evenly spread. Place the crust in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the top is no longer "wet looking". Set the crust aside to cool.
- While the crust is baking, make the lemon layer. Start by zesting and juicing one lemon. Put the juice and the zest into the bowl of a stand mixer. No need to wash the bowl that you used to make the shortbread crust, save dishes, save water.
- Add the Monkfruit, lemon juice, zest, and eggs to the mixer and combine. Add the almond flour and salt and combine. Mix for about 3 minutes.
- When the crust has cooled, pour the lemon layer over the crust and then bake for 25-30 minutes or until the lemon layer has set.
- Cool on the counter, still in the pan for 15-20 minutes or, put in the refrigerator to cool faster.
- Dust the top with powdered monk fruit sweetener (optional) Slice and serve!
These bars are BEST when cooled fully. When baking with low carb ingredients, it's always better cooled. These bars firm up really well after sitting in the refrigerator for an hour or even overnight. It's worth the wait.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil with Butter Flavor from non-GMO, Steam Refined, Sustainably Farmed Coconuts, 14-ounce (Pack of 2)
- Rachael Ray 47425 Nonstick Bakeware Set with Grips, Nonstick Cookie Sheets / Baking Sheets - 3 Piece, Gray with Marine Blue Grips
- Watkins Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla Extract, with Pure Vanilla Extract, 11 Ounce (Packaging may vary)
- Nature's Eats Blanched Almond Flour, 32 Ounce
- KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Contour Silver
- Golden Monkfruit 1:1 Sugar Substitute
Serving Size1 bar
Amount Per Serving Calories 139Total Fat 13.9gNet Carbohydrates 1.3gProtein 13.9g
Let me know what you think about this recipe by commenting below. Share with your friends on social media and have a great day!