Bok Choy – The Forgotten Super Food.
Bok Choy is a Chinese food and medicine favorite that has been used for centuries. It is common in Chinese cooking but often overlooked in the United States. Bok Choy is loaded with body healing nutrition and some believe it can help fight cancer. In a study by the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center and the Shanghai Center for Disease Control and Prevention showed that eating dark, leafy green vegetables such as bok choy may improve breast cancer survival. (Dr. Mercola)
Bok Choy contains vitamins C, A, and K, Bok Chow contains large amounts of calcium, magnesium, potassium, manganese, and iron. Bok Choy deserves its reputation as a powerhouse among vegetables. Vitamin A, for instance, is essential for a properly functioning immune system, while vitamin C is an antioxidant that shields the body from free radicals. Bok choy supplies potassium for healthy muscle and nerve function, and vitamin B6 for carbohydrate, fat, and protein metabolism. (Source – Dr. Mercola)
Low in carbohydrates – Full of Flavor
A 100g serving of Bok Choy contains 1 net carbohydrate and 13 calories. Bok Choy is certainly worth another look when you are at the grocery store. Bok Choy tastes similar to Brussels Sprouts and Cabbage. In fact it is in the cabbage family after all. For hundreds of years people have been using Bok Choy to make Kimchi, a spicy fermented cabbage. Try this out alongside one of my low carb keto Chinese food main dishes like Salty and Sweet Chicken, or Chinese Ketchup Chicken Pair this with this delicious Keto Lemon Chicken Soup courtesy of Delicious Little Bites.
Roasted Bok Choy
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash the Bok Choy. Trim off the base and any leaves that are bad.
- Slice the Bok Choy in half.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the Bok Choy halves with olive oil black pepper and salt.
- Arrange the Bok Choy on a rimmed cookie sheet cut side down.
- Place the pan into the oven for about 8 minutes.
- Mix the coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame seeds, stevia and the apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.
- After 8 minutes flip the Bok Choy and roast for another 4 minutes.
- Remove the Bok Choy from the oven and drizzle the sauce on top.
- Serve while hot and delicious.