Key Lime Cupcakes
Sugar free Keto Key Lime Cupcakes are exactly what you need to make any party perfect while keeping to keto. These sugar free treats are made without any food coloring and thus perfect for Saint Patricks day or any other celebration! These Key Lime Cupcakes are loaded with flavor but I must say the frosting is the real star here.
The cupcake base for this key lime cupcake is delicious on its own with hints of lime throughout due to the added rind. I have found that when working with limes it is important to add rind for that extra impact of flavor. One tablespoon of lime rind contains zero carbohydrates while containing a huge punch of flavor. (Source)
Low Carb Cupcakes and Cakes
The recipe for these keto key lime cupcakes is consequently a slightly modified version of the birthday cake recipe I used for my daughter’s 9th birthday party. This cake is moist and dense rather than spongy. All in all at the end of the birthday party there were only two tiny slices left over, the kids and parents loved it!
Keto Key Lime Origins
The origin of the key lime pie dates back to during the 1890’s in Key West Florida by a woman known only as “Aunt Sally”. The story goes Aunt Sally allegedly created the pie in the kitchens of Key West’s Curry Mansion using sweetened condensed milk and as a result created the key lime pie.
Although there is a controversy that key lime pie actually comes from New York, I believe it’s a southern dish. The proof I have in this is basically in the name, Key Lime Pudding (Cupcakes).
Useful Kitchen Items to make Keto Key Lime Cupcakes:
- Standard Cupcake Pan
- Food Processor (I use this one, its worked great for years!)
- Pyrex Measuring cup
- Cooking Scale
- Cupcake Liners
- Star frosting tip
- Piping Bags
- 7 inch spring form pan
Parchment paper (If you choose to make Keto Key Lime Cupcakes into a cake)
Make these cupcakes for your family and likewise share them on social media with your friends. Let me know what you think and drop a comment below or if you rather, hit me up on facebook or pinterest.
Key Lime Cupcakes
- Becky Craigo
- 3 meduim eggs
- 60 ml Coconut milk or about 1/4 cup
- 50 g Coconut Flour or about a 1/4 cup
- 100 g Almond Flour or about a scant cup
- 200 g Erythritol or about a heaping cup
- 1 1/2 TBS Lime Juice
- The rind of 2 Limes Optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 40 Drops Vanilla flavored Stevia. I LOVE THIS BRAND
- 60 g Coconut Oil
Key Lime Frosting
- First, Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut a circle to fit the spring form pan and place it on the bottom of the pan and spray the sides with a non stick keto friendly cooking spray. If making cupcakes place the liners inside of the cupcake pan.
- Next, “cream” the coconut oil, erythritol, salt, stevia and extracts together in the food processor for 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs, lime juice and coconut milk to the food processor and combine for about 30 seconds.
- Next add the flours and process until it becomes a coarse cake like texture. Do not do this too long it only takes 30 seconds or so. Fold in the rind.
- Pour the cake batter into the cupcake liners or cake pan and place it in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Do a “toothpick test” to check the key lime cupcakes after 30 minutes. The toothpick should be clean with no batter attached to it when it comes out of the center of the cupcakes. The keto key lime cupcakes should not “jiggle” in the middle. The edges should be brown.
- Let the cupcakes rest for 5 minutes on a cutting board for 5 minutes. Freeze the cupcakes until they are ready to frost. Store the cupcakes in the refrigerator until they are ready to be served.
- First, melt the Coconut Butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds in 10 second intervals.
- Next, add the avocados to the food processor and blend until smooth and then add all the ingredients except for the lime juice into the food processor. Blend the frosting in the food processor until the mixture has combined. Next, add the lime juice to the key lime frosting. Process until smooth. Finally, add more powdered Erythritol to thicken the frosting if needed.
- It is important to remember to scrape sides of the bowl down and then process again until all ingredients are combined.
- Add more powdered erythritol or stevia to taste. To thicken, put the keto key lime frosting in the refrigerator.
- Next add the frosting to a piping bag with an open star tip. Finally, swirl the frosting on each cupcake starting from the outside and working your way in. You should end up with more frosting than needed.
- Sprinkle lime rind on top of your keto key lime cupcakes.
- Once the cupcakes are frosted store them in the refrigerator.
Serving Size1 Cupcake
Amount Per Serving Calories 189 Total Fat 16.9g Carbohydrates 2.9g Protein 6g
Key lime pudding - Keto, Dairy Free and Delicious
This dairy free pudding is perfect for the keto diet as it is packed with fat and low in sugar. BONUS - No Green Food coloring was harmed or used in this recipe!
Keto Key Lime Cupcakes
These decadent cupcakes will win at your next birthday party while keeping it low carb. With no dairy or food coloring these cakes will be the star!
Keto Panna Cotta: Strawberry, Key Lime, Dairy Free
Dairy free Keto never tasted this good! The mix of strawberry and key lime is a perfect pairing for this classic recipe.
Keto Margaritas : Make these Midnight Margaritas Keto Style Tonight
You put the lime in the coconut and then you...drink it!
Keto Birthday Cake: Grain Free, Sugar Free, Dairy Free
A sugar free take on the classic funfetti cake except this time its sugar free.
Birthday Mug Cake
The easiest birthday cake you will ever make!
Keto Key Lime Cupcakes
These decadent cupcakes will wow any crowd with the delicious key lime frosting and no food coloring!
Pumpkin Olive Oil Cake: Sugar, Grain, Coconut & Dairy Free Keto Cake
Olive oil cakes are rich and moist. This one is packed with fall flavors that your family is going to love.
Pavlova with Lemon Curd
Sugar Free Pavlova with Lemon Curd with Fresh Berries. Try this delicous desert this holiday season.
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes that are low carb and dairy free. Make these amazing cupcakes to celebrate St. Patrick's day or any other day you want a low carb treat.
Keto Birthday Cake Cookies: Low Carb Protein cookies
Birthday cake cookies for the win! They look just like the classic birthday cakes I had from the box mix as a kid minus all that sugar.